What users say:
“Cheers for a great tool that actually makes programmers want to write documentation!“
Sphinx is a tool that makes it easy to create intelligent and beautiful documentation, written by Georg Brandl and licensed under the BSD license.
It was originally created for the Python documentation, and it has excellent facilities for the documentation of software projects in a range of languages. Of course, this site is also created from reStructuredText sources using Sphinx! The following features should be highlighted:
- Output formats: HTML (including Windows HTML Help), LaTeX (for printable PDF versions), ePub, Texinfo, manual pages, plain text
- Extensive cross-references: semantic markup and automatic links for functions, classes, citations, glossary terms and similar pieces of information
- Hierarchical structure: easy definition of a document tree, with automatic links to siblings, parents and children
- Automatic indices: general index as well as a language-specific module indices
- Code handling: automatic highlighting using the Pygments highlighter
- Extensions: automatic testing of code snippets, inclusion of docstrings from Python modules (API docs), and more
- Contributed extensions: more than 50 extensions contributed by users in a second repository; most of them installable from PyPI
You can also download PDF/EPUB versions of the Sphinx documentation from pop up menu on lower right corner.
Links to documentation generated with Sphinx can be found on the Projects using Sphinx page.
For examples of how Sphinx source files look, use the “Show source” links on all pages of the documentation apart from this welcome page.
You may also be interested in the very nice tutorial on how to create a customized documentation using Sphinx written by the matplotlib developers.
There is a translation team in Transifex of this documentation, thanks to the Sphinx document translators.
A Japanese book about Sphinx has been published by O'Reilly: Sphinxをはじめよう / Learning Sphinx.
In 2019 the second edition of a German book about Sphinx was published: Software-Dokumentation mit Sphinx.
If you want to contribute to the project, this part of the documentation is for you.